Aletho News

ΑΛΗΘΩΣ

Russia says US, allies turned down proposal on Syria

Press TV – February 5, 2016

Russia says the United States and its western allies rejected Moscow’s proposal to form an advisory center in Jordan for coordinating actions in Syria.

“Our minister proposed holding a telephone conversation with (US Defense Secretary) Ashton Carter on Jan. 19, but we were given to understand that such a talk was not expedient,” Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov was quoted by Interfax as saying on Friday.

Earlier in the day, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg criticized Russia’s military campaign against terrorists in Syria, saying the air raids were “undermining the efforts to find a political solution to the conflict.”

The UN-brokered peace talks between delegates from the Syrian government and divided opposition were suspended on Wednesday only three days after their shaky start. The talks are not expected to resume until February 25.

The Geneva negotiations were halted after the so-called High Negotiations Committee (HNC), a Saudi-backed anti-Damascus opposition group, failed to show up at a meeting.

The Syrian government delegation blamed the opposition for the failure of the peace talks, accusing it of pulling out because it was losing the fight on the ground.

The HNC’s pullout came as Syrian armed forces, backed by Russian air cover, made significant gains against Takfiri militant groups on several fronts. Moscow began pounding terror groups in Syria last September upon a request by Damascus.

Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow supports diplomatic measures to end the conflict in Syria while continuing its military assistance to the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

“Russia is consistently making efforts within the general international framework of seeking a peaceful and political settlement to the situation in Syria. At the same time, Russia is providing support to the legitimate leadership of the Syrian Arab Republic in its fight against terror,” he said.

February 7, 2016 - Posted by | Illegal Occupation, Militarism | , , , , ,

1 Comment »

  1. Presumably NATO SG Stoltenberg would require that Syria negotiate peace with Wahhabi terrorists and their Saudi backers who are entirely opposed to the existence of a multicultural secular democracy in Syria or anywhere else for that matter. It is abundantly clear that NATO and it’s mouthpieces, just like the takfiri terrorists, has been enlisted as a paid Saudi mercenary to create chaos and catastrophe in advance of Syria’s obliteration. Clearly, Saudi rented Europe and North America is no longer aspiring to civilization. Is this the triumph of public austerity and private plutocracy? Other than it does not suit the Saudi oil kings, why should Syria not retain its secular democracy, sovereignty, ethnic and religious diversity, tolerance and socialism? Why must the totalitarian Saudi’s be the deep government behind the facade & political puppetry of the entire Middle East? M\\

    Like

    Comment by Michael\\ | February 7, 2016 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.