First Palestinian child killed by Israeli forces in 2019 was struck in head with tear-gas canister

Abdel-Raouf Ismail Mohammad Salha (13) succumbed to wounds sustained during Great March of Return on 11 January 2019. [Twitter]
MEMO | January 17, 2019

The first Palestinian child killed by Israeli occupation forces in 2019 was struck in the head by a tear-gas canister during the suppression of protests in the Gaza Strip.

According to Defence for Children International-Palestine (DCIP), Abdel-Raouf Ismail Mohammad Salha – just 13-years-old – was “struck on the left side of his head by an Israeli-fired tear gas canister that caused a brain injury on the afternoon of January 11”.

The child was pronounced dead from his injuries three days later in Gaza City’s Shifa hospital.

“Crowd control weapons such as tear gas canisters can become lethal weapons when fired at children, especially if the point of impact is on a child’s head or torso,” said Ayed Abu Eqtaish, Accountability Program director for DCIP.

In 2018, the NGO documented “three cases where children died after tear gas canisters fired by Israeli forces struck them”.

On the day in question, Abdel-Raouf was “participating in a weekly protest in the Abu Safia hill area, southeast of Beit Hanoun”. At around 4pm, while the boy was “standing approximately 150 meters (492 feet) from the perimeter fence with a group of other protesters”, Israeli forces in military jeeps from the other side of the perimeter fence “fired tear gas canisters at the group”.

“The witness saw Abdel-Raouf collapse and a wound bleeding from his head”, DCIP added.

Doctors told DCIP that “the force of impact caused a skull fracture and fragments of bone to enter the boy’s brain”.

In 2018, DCIP “independently verified the deaths of 57 Palestinian children at the hands of Israeli forces or settlers across the Occupied Palestinian Territory”, including 49 killed in the Gaza Strip.

READ ALSO:

Israel killing of Palestine children in Gaza protests amounts to ‘war crimes’

January 17, 2019 - Posted by | Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism, War Crimes | , , ,

1. Children are the Zios’ preferred targets, second only to pregnant women.

Comment by traducteur | January 17, 2019 | Reply

2. I bet Mr Nutjobyahu got a “Sick Thrill” when he learned about this……..They never get tired of killing Children, do they……Inhuman Pigs….!

Comment by Brian Harry, Australia | January 17, 2019 | Reply

3. I’ve just been reading the Book of Judges in the Old Testament. I haven’t counted them yet but there are many times throughout that say, “And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord”.

Many times. Many, many times Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord. Then, they were punished. Then, they cried out to the Lord. Then the Lord would raise them up a deliverer. Over and over and over again this happened.

Today, it appears that Israel is doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on the whole doing evil in the sight of the Lord thing. This does not bode well for Israel. Or the grandiose United States for that matter.

Ya’ll don’t seem to comprehend that the war has already been won. And you are the losers.

Comment by tsisageya | January 17, 2019 | Reply

4. Here’s some music from me, to you:

Comment by tsisageya | January 17, 2019 | Reply

• Here are the lyrics:

Make it count, leave a mark, build a name for yourself
      Dream your dreams, chase your heart, above all else
      Make a name the world remembers
      But all an empty world can sell is empty dreams
      I got lost in the light but it was up to me
      To make a name the world remembers
      But Jesus is the only name to remember

And I, I don’t want to leave a legacy
      I don’t care if they remember me
      Only Jesus
      And I, I’ve only got one life to live
      I’ll let every second point to Him
      Only Jesus

All the kingdoms built, all the trophies won
      Will crumble into dust when it’s said and done
      ‘Cause all that really matters
      Did I live the truth to the ones I love
      Was my life the proof that there is only One
      Whose name will last forever

Jesus is the only name
      Jesus is the only name
      Jesus is the only name to remember
      Jesus is the only name
      Jesus is the only name
      Jesus is the only name to remember

I don’t want to leave a legacy
      I don’t care if they remember me
      Only Jesus

Only Jesus

Comment by tsisageya | January 17, 2019 | Reply

5. Oops, speaking the name of Jesus isn’t unlawful or anti-semetic yet, is it? OH WELL. If so, too bad.

Comment by tsisageya | January 17, 2019 | Reply