Aletho News

ΑΛΗΘΩΣ

Trump’s Gaza ‘peace’ board in turmoil as funding pledges fail to materialise

MEMO | May 21, 2026

Donald Trump’s controversial “Board of Peace” for Gaza has warned that a gap between pledged funds and money actually disbursed must be closed urgently, raising fresh doubts over the US-led scheme already widely viewed as the president’s vanity project rather than a serious plan to rebuild the besieged Palestinian enclave.

A report submitted to the United Nations Security Council said: “The gap between commitment and disbursement must be closed with urgency.” It warned that funds pledged but not transferred mark “the difference between a framework that exists on paper and one that delivers on the ground for the people of Gaza.”

Trump established the Board of Peace to oversee his plan to end Israel’s genocide on Gaza and rebuild the territory, large parts of which have been reduced to rubble after more than two years of bombing. The reconstruction effort is estimated to cost around $70 billion, while $17 billion has reportedly been pledged to the board so far.

The board had previously denied that it faced funding constraints, insisting that it was an “execution-focused organisation that calls capital as needed.” However, its own report to the Security Council now urges countries that have made pledges to accelerate disbursement and calls on non-member states and international organisations to contribute without delay.

The United States, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar are among the states said to have pledged funds, alongside Kuwait, Morocco and Uzbekistan. Yet the future of Gulf commitments now appears more uncertain following Trump’s war on Iran, which has deepened regional instability and exposed the fragility of US-led security arrangements in the Middle East. The Iran war has widened rifts between Washington and its allies, with European leaders saying they were not consulted before US-Israeli strikes on Iranian leadership and infrastructure.

The funding concerns add to longstanding criticism that the Board of Peace is less a credible reconstruction mechanism than an exercise in Trumpian self-promotion. The initiative is widely seen as “aggrandising theatre” and warned that it erases Palestinian political rights while recasting Gaza as a development site rather than an occupied territory whose people are entitled to freedom, dignity and self-determination.

The board was created after Trump’s broader Gaza plan, which placed the US president at the centre of the transitional initiative. It is chaired by Trump and tasked with supervising a still-to-be-formed Palestinian technocratic government and reconstruction under the second phase of the ceasefire deal.

Critics say the plan fails to confront the root causes of Gaza’s destruction: Israel’s occupation, siege and military assault. Analysts have pointed out that Gaza does not need a branding exercise or a donor board dominated by Washington and its allies, but a political settlement rooted in Palestinian sovereignty and international law.

The board’s report says 85 per cent of Gaza’s buildings and infrastructure have been destroyed and that around 70 million tonnes of rubble must be cleared. Despite an October ceasefire, Israel has kept troops in a large part of Gaza and continued air strikes, while the second phase of Trump’s plan — including broader Israeli withdrawal, reconstruction and the disarmament of Palestinian factions — has not been implemented.

Many states remain reluctant to channel reconstruction funds through Trump’s board because of concerns over transparency, oversight and political control. Under the board’s charter, member states reportedly hold three-year terms unless they pay $1 billion to fund its activities and secure permanent membership, raising further questions over whether Gaza’s reconstruction is being treated as a humanitarian obligation or a pay-to-play diplomatic platform.

May 21, 2026 - Posted by | Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism | , , , ,

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.